Welcome to Pittsburgh! I am certain that you will find the Pittsburgh area to be an attractive place in which to reside and raise a family. Among its many assets, western Pennsylvania is fortunate to have fine school systems. For families with school-age children, this is an important consideration. As you examine the various communities in our area I encourage you to consider the Fox Chapel Area School District.
Here is some information and statistics about our educational programs and the achievement of our students and staff. A few important facts are:
• The district is approximately a 20-minute drive from Oakland, Pittsburgh's university and cultural center.
• The district is approximately a 25-minute drive from downtown Pittsburgh.
• The Regional Industrial Development Corporation (RIDC) Park located in our district was identified by Fortune Magazine as a center of technical research and development.
• The former Gulf Research Center, which is now operated by the University of Pittsburgh as an incubator for high-tech industries, adjoins our school district on its northeastern border.
• The school district real estate millage, which is now at 18.9822 mills, is among the lower millage rates in Allegheny County. The millage rate is the same for all six municipalities which comprise our district.
• A full range of pupil support personnel are available including school psychologists, school counselors, special education teachers, and teachers of the gifted.
• A total of 375 students graduated in the class of 2016. Of the 375 graduates, 90 percent of the class is enrolled in some form of continuing education.
• Computer laboratories and a curriculum of computer-related activities exist at all grade levels (kindergarten-grade 12).
• The high school recently underwent extensive renovations and has a brand new natatorium/swimming pool and a renovated library/media center, auditorium, and cafeteria. The high school already includes state-of-the-art video, computer, science, digital art, technology, and music labs. The five other schools in the district underwent addition and renovation work in 1992-1993.
• The Fox Chapel Area School District offers a great number of interscholastic athletic activities. Additionally, intramural athletics exist in the elementary schools, middle school, and high school and the community supports a wide range of youth activities including football, baseball, soccer, and swimming.
• The district has received both national and state recognition. The Pennsylvania and United States departments of education have recognized individual buildings and programs through the elementary and secondary school recognition programs. All six of our schools have been named National Blue Ribbon Schools – Fox Chapel Area High School (two times), Dorseyville Middle School, Fairview Elementary School, Hartwood Elementary School, Kerr Elementary School, and O’Hara Elementary School. The high school received Exemplary Educational Program Credentials in music and school counseling in 2012, and was recognized for Programs of Distinction in Visual Arts in 2015 by the Middle States Association Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools. Dorseyville Middle School was named a 2013 and a 2010 Pennsylvania Don Eichhorn Schools: Schools to Watch school. The Fox Chapel Area School District was also named among the “Best Communities for Music Education” for the past five years. Additionally, Fox Chapel Area High School was given 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009, and 2008 Silver Medal ranks by U.S.News & World Report and was named one of the nation’s top public high schools in 2013 and 2012 by Newsweek magazine. Other commendations have recognized district programs and individuals, including the winner of the 2015 Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year, the 2013 Outstanding Superintendent Award from the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA), the 2012 PMEA District 1 Citation of Excellence, a Disney Teacher Award, the Robert F. Wolf Award for excellence in teaching, the Pennsylvania Elementary Teacher of the Year, the Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year, Outstanding Secondary Art Educator of the Year, the Environmental Education Teacher of the Year, the Pennsylvania Elementary Counselor of the Year, the Pennsylvania Outstanding Middle School Counselor of the Year, the Outstanding Superintendent Award, and finalists for the Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year Award.
If you have any questions regarding our school, contact the district's communications office at 412/967-2443. Good luck in your relocation effort.